Before deciding to begin counselling you may have some questions about practicalities such as cost or location. My fees and other frequently asked questions are listed below; for any other queries please contact me.
What are the costs and how do I pay?
- Sessions cost £50.00 and are payable by bank transfer a minimum of 48 hours prior the session taking place.
- There is a 10% discount when a block of 5 or more sessions are booked and paid in advance (T&Cs apply).
- I can sometimes offer concessionary rates for low-income/unwaged, depending on my availability. Please contact me for more information.
What happens after I make an enquiry?
After you’ve contacted me we will arrange a free 20 minute consultation where you can tell me why you’d like to access counselling support and what you’d like to achieve. I will ask you a few questions to help me decide if I’m the best counsellor to meet your needs, and answer any questions you may have. I will also encourage you to take some time to think about whether or not you’re happy to work with me as your counsellor.
Should you decide to go ahead then we’ll discuss whether you’d like face-to-face or online therapy and we’ll book sessions accordingly. During our first appointment, before counselling can begin, I’ll spend some time finding out more about you and your current situation. In doing this we will begin to build the strong therapeutic relationship which is essential for counselling to be effective.
How & where does counselling take place?
- In-person indoor sessions take place in Bab’yama Wellness Hub, 23 Castlegate, Berwick-upon-Tweed.
- In-person outdoor sessions take place in/near Berwick-upon-Tweed, Coldstream and Kelso.
- Video and telephone sessions take place wherever you feel safe and comfortable, throughout the UK.
How long is a counselling session?
A standard session is 50 minutes long. Longer sessions can be provided – please ask for details.
How many sessions will I need?
This very much depends on the issues you want to explore. We will discuss this in our initial phone conversation, however please note I do not offer “single session therapy” and recommend a minimum of four sessions to begin with. As we progress we can discuss whether or not you wish to have further sessions and together we can consider how many may be appropriate.
How frequently will I attend?
It is often beneficial, at least for the first few sessions, to attend weekly, however everyone has different needs and you may prefer fortnightly or three-weekly appointments. I take a flexible approach and will discuss frequency of sessions with you when we book your initial appointment.