Hi! I’m Elspeth, an experienced counsellor and accredited BACP member providing one-to-one counselling to adults and young people aged 13 and over. Face-to-face counselling sessions are offered indoors in Berwick-upon-Tweed or outdoors in Berwick and the surrounding areas. Video and telephone appointments are available throughout the UK.
My core training is in person-centred counselling. This is a humanistic approach based on the belief that every individual is the expert on themselves. Through counselling I will support you in accessing your inner resources, enabling you to better cope with life events.
How I work
My aim is to provide a safe space where you can explore and make sense of your thoughts and feelings, without judgement. Key to this is developing a strong therapeutic relationship with you, based on mutual trust and respect. Underpinning this is a trauma-informed approach and the person-centred values of empathy, unconditional acceptance and realness.
Everyone is unique and may need a variety of supports, strategies or techniques to help them. With this in mind I’ll discuss with you what you’d like to gain from therapy and how we might best achieve this.
I will not:
- Diagnose you with a mental illness – for this you need to visit your GP.
- Judge you.
- Give you solutions or tell you what to do.
What I can help with
Some of the issues I work with include the following:
- OCD, low mood, depression.
- Anxiety, stress, panic.
- Confidence and self-esteem.
- Grief, loss, bereavement.
- Work-related problems.
- Relationship difficulties.
I also have extensive experience of working with survivors of sexual, emotional, psychological and physical abuse.
Training & Qualifications
- Level 5 Diploma in Counselling
- Level 5 Certificate in Counselling Children & Young People
- Certificate in Online Counselling
- Accredited member of the BACP
- Continuous Professional Development training and workshops in many areas including:
Suicide and self-harm, safeguarding children and vulnerable adults, autism awareness, domestic violence, trauma-informed practice, working creatively, outdoor therapy and much more.
Adhering to the British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists’ Ethical Framework ensures that I always have the safety and best interests of my clients at the forefront of my work.